Ensign
Ensign
    Macintosh Safari
Groups:
Canada

Best Tony Scott Films Ranked

Postby Goonies85 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:57 am

Hi All,

Might as well do one more list...This time Tony Scott (RIP), even though, as usual, I haven't necessarily seen all of his movies (and I neglected to rank something like Top Gun, which I really only saw when I was a kid...I'd have to see it again to give it an accurate ranking)...Here we go:

1. True Romance. Awesome direction of Tarantino's script. For some reason, Scott's kind of frenetic (or kinetic) direction really works with this story about Clarence and Alabama, albeit it's toned down compared to some of Scott's later work. So many great actors in this: Slater, Arquette, Walken, Hopper, Gandolfini, Rappaport, Jackson, Rubinek, Sizemore, etc. It's hard to imagine someone of even Tarantino's directorial pedigree to have directed the movie better. And the scene between Dennis Hopper and Chris Walken remains perhaps the greatest scene of the '90s. And I love the re-use of the Badlands score...It really suits the movie. I also love all of the autobiographical checkmarks Tarantino makes (kung-fu films, Sonny Chiba, comic books, etc.)...A truly entertaining movie filled with jaw-dropping dialogue and wonderful plot twists...

2. The Fan. Enormously underrated '90s action movie starring De Niro and Wesley Snipes. I've watched the DVD countless times (why hasn't anyone thought to release this on Blu-Ray? At least that way I could finally watch it in widescreen, as opposed to the pan-and-scan version that remains the only one available). Beautifully shot in San Francisco, much of the movie takes place in the rain, and it really adds to the atmosphere. De Niro gives a really creepy performance as Gil...I have a feeling that eventually this little gem is going to be rediscovered and will get some of the acclaim it's always justly deserved...Charlie Halloran also has a small but key role...

3. Crimson Tide. Great submarine movie. It's great seeing Gene Hackman opposite Denzel Washington in this one. They're great playing characters at odds with each other. There's also a lot of other actors playing minor roles, like Steve Zahn and James Gandolfini. The dialogue in this movie is great (apparently Tarantino helped rewrite the dialogue for a couple of scenes; think the Silver Surfer scene and the one about Arabian horses)...Just a great movie in which the conflict is mostly dialogue, as they're obviously trapped to the confines of the submarine...And it also helps that there's not really a true "bad guy" in this...It's just people who have distinct points of view and do not see eye to eye...Wonderfully claustrophobic, and the movie makes sure to add humour from time to time...Just a fun way to spend a couple of hours...And even though I enjoy The Hunt for Red October, I'd take this submarine movie over that one any day...

4. The Last Boy Scout. Awesome, hilarious "buddy" movie starring Bruce Willis and Damon Wayans, who actually play off each other pretty well. The script, by Shane Black, was legendary, as I believe it set a record for the time as it sold for a then-record $4 million. Great banter between the characters, lots of tremendous action scenes, but also a bit of heart. And, as per usual when it comes to a movie written by Shane Black, lots of great humour. I really enjoy this one...

5. Beverly Hills Cop II. Good movie. Doesn't quite live up the first one, but it's solid enough. If you were to ask what the typical '80s action movie would look and sound like, you could do much worse than this movie. And it proves that back in the day, when he wasn't busy doing comedies aimed at kids, Eddie Murphy was once funny...

6. Unstoppable. The direction sometimes overtakes this one, but I liked it. Denzel was great, Chris Pine was good. The plot definitely hooks you. Just sometimes the quick-cutting technique that Scott employed can get tiresome...

7. Revenge: Director's Cut. Weak movie. Surprisingly violent. Costner and Stowe are good, but I just don't get the hype for this one. From what I've heard, Tarantino is a big fan of this, but I have a hard time understanding why...

8. Man on Fire. Another movie where I thought the hyper-kinetic editing really got in the way of the plot. Denzel is reliably good, as per usual, but I wasn't really drawn into the story...And again, when you're cutting every half a second, I feel it detracts from the movie...

9. The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3. The remake. It was okay. Denzel was good, but I didn't really care for John Travolta. He just didn't seem to fit in his role. I thought he played it a bit too...flashy, I guess? I don't know, the original is good enough. Don't think they should've even bothered remaking it...

10. Spy Game. Didn't like. If you have Brad Pitt and Robert Redford together in a spy movie, it should be a great movie. They should have found a better script. Too many plot holes and cliches to truly enjoy. Skip this one.

Thanks,

E
0 x
"He asks forgiveness for his hubris. He tells God that he has gained his selfhood at great cost to other people. He tells God that he loves danger now, and it thrills him much more than it frightens him."
- James Ellroy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

TJ Highway
Ensign
Ensign
    Windows 7 Firefox
Groups:
United States of America

Re: Best Tony Scott Films Ranked

Postby TJ Highway » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:05 am

1. True Romance. Egg plant scene genius!

2. Man on Fire. I've worked as a government contractor for the past 11 years. I've seen plenty of Creasy's. Burned out but still trying to do the right thing.

3. Top Gun. In the 80's I was stationed on an aircraft Carrier. Scott did his homework the scenes were spot on.

4. Enemy of the State. What can I say I love Gene Hackman!

5. Crimson Tide. Once again Gene Hackman, this time add Denzel Washington. Add George Dzundza, Viggo Mortensen and James Gandolfini. In fact I believe James Gandolfini was the actor to star in most of his movies.

6. Days of Thunder. Cause I love Robert Duvall and John C. Reilly!

7. Revenge. Kevin Costner, Anthony Quinn

8. Domino. Mickey Rourke, Lucy Liu and Christopher Walken!

9. The A-Team! Liam Neeson and Bradley Cooper, I like those guys!

10. Unstoppable. Because I like Denzel Washington, Chris Pine and Rosario Dawson!
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jean-Luc Picard
Captain
Captain
    Windows 8.1 Firefox
Groups:
Ireland

Postby Jean-Luc Picard » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:41 pm

TJ Highway wrote:Source of the post 1. True Romance. Egg plant scene genius!

2. Man on Fire. I've worked as a government contractor for the past 11 years. I've seen plenty of Creasy's. Burned out but still trying to do the right thing.

3. Top Gun. In the 80's I was stationed on an aircraft Carrier. Scott did his homework the scenes were spot on.

5. Crimson Tide. Once again Gene Hackman, this time add Denzel Washington. Add George Dzundza, Viggo Mortensen and James Gandolfini. In fact I believe James Gandolfini was the actor to star in most of his movies.

9. The A-Team! Liam Neeson and Bradley Cooper, I like those guys!

10. Unstoppable. Because I like Denzel Washington, Chris Pine and Rosario Dawson!
Tony Scott was one of the producers of The A-Team but he didn't direct it. That was Joe Carnahan.
0 x
ImageImageImageImage

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

TJ Highway
Ensign
Ensign
    Windows 7 Firefox
Groups:
United States of America

Postby TJ Highway » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:43 am

Best Tony Scott Films Ranked is the thread title!

If it's your thread you did not specify director or producer! I knew that he didn't direct The A Team so if it makes you happy no 10.

1. True Romance. Egg plant scene genius!

9. Unstoppable. Because I like Denzel Washington, Chris Pine and Rosario Dawson!

No 10 I would have been very interested in Clifford Irving's novel Tom Mix and Pancho Villa. I know Tony Scott worked on a screen play for over 10 years.
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Movies”