QUESTION - Your Top 3 Favorite "COMEDY" Movies ?

AnthonyRocks
Ensign
Ensign

QUESTION - Your Top 3 Favorite "COMEDY" Movies ?

Postby AnthonyRocks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:41 pm

What are Your own Top 3 Favorite "COMEDY" Movies ?

For an Example, Here are My own Top 3 Favorites Below!

1. Airplane

2. Groundhog Day

3. Airplane 2
-------------------------------
What about everybody else here ?

robhR
Ensign
Ensign

Re: QUESTION - Your Top 3 Favorite "COMEDY" Movies ?

Postby robhR » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:58 pm

You know I still have to see Airplane.

The Big Lebowski is my favourite, and then I'm kind of ashamed to say, as they're not art house and I need to be pretentious, but the two Harold & Kumar movies.

I need more art house comedies.

Jean-Luc Picard
Captain
Captain

Postby Jean-Luc Picard » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:20 am

robhR wrote:Qr Bbpost You know I still have to see Airplane.

The Big Lebowski is my favourite, and then I'm kind of ashamed to say, as they're not art house and I need to be pretentious, but the two Harold & Kumar movies.

There are three Harold & Kumar movies.
ImageImageImageImage

robhR
Ensign
Ensign

Postby robhR » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:01 am

James T. Kirk wrote:Qr Bbpost

Is that so?

I imdb'd it and found the Christmas one. That the one you're talking about? I'll have to watch it.

Jean-Luc Picard
Captain
Captain

Postby Jean-Luc Picard » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:32 am

robhR wrote:Qr Bbpost
James T. Kirk wrote:Qr Bbpost

Is that so?

I imdb'd it and found the Christmas one. That the one you're talking about? I'll have to watch it.
Yep, that's the one.
ImageImageImageImage

Goonies85
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Goonies85 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:41 am

Narrowing it down to a Top 3 is pretty tough, so please allow me to list my Top 5, followed by some near misses...

1. The Big Lebowski. Can't really go wrong with this one, and it's just as funny if you read the script, which is available in book form. Just perfectly written and structured...Boggles the mind how the Coens were able to come up with this stuff, and it remains laugh out loud, to this day...Perfectly cast...So many memorable lines..."Shut the fuck up, Donny!"...

2. Fletch. Probably my favorite Chevy Chase movie (Funny Farm would be a close second, and of course National Lampoon's Vacation and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation). Chase is perfect at playing smartasses, and Fletch might be the pinnacle of that. Love the dated '80s synth score, too...And the plot is actually pretty compelling...Tim Matheson is great in his role...The sequel was decent, but could've been better...

3. Captain Ron. Have already commented on this in other threads. Just Kurt Russell and Martin Short at the top of their games. Very underrated movie that was destroyed by the critics when it was initially released. I love this movie, and it is the perfect thing to watch if you've just had a bad day...Will totally cheer you up...

4. Pineapple Express. Had to list at least one Rogen movie. I've probably watched this upwards of 40 times (yes, oftentimes under the influence of...substances...), but it's really just perfect. Gary Cole makes a great and funny villain...Danny McBride almost steals the movie...Rosie Perez is hilarious...Craig Williams and his partner are hilarious in their roles...Might feature my favorite comedy scene of the 2000s, when Rogen and Franco confront McBride at his house...Endless laughter...

5. Ghostbusters. Just a classic. And I almost, almost consider the sequel to be just as good. Bill Murray makes the perfect smartass as Venkman, and the supporting cast is just as good. Every time this is on TV, I can't help but watch, even though at this point I've probably seen it over a 100 times...I had all of the toys while I was growing up, too...

6. Tommy Boy. Cheating, had to add this. The perfect "rainy day" movie. You can't help but feel good after watching this. Chris Farley at the top of his game, and David Spade is the perfect counterpart. One can only imagine what Farley would've accomplished had he lived longer (RIP)...Their follow-up, Black Sheep, might not measure up to this one, but it's till a decent watch...

Near misses: Groundhog Day (almost a perfect comedy, but I almost feel that this should be better classified as a "romantic comedy" instead of just regular comedy, and when I've watched it more recently, it actually gets very dramatic at times)...Knocked Up and The 40-Year Old Virgin (two great Judd Apatow comedies...Some may feel that they are a little long, but there's just soooooo many great comedians in them that they have to be given time to shine...I love both, even though if it came down to it, I'd prefer the former)...Goon (I'm Canadian so obviously I'm a hockey fan...very great movie and Seann William Scott really shines in this...the sequel sucked, though)...Funny Farm (awesome Chevy Chase comedy from the '80s...love how Chase's character slowly boils with rage before losing it)...Rushmore (probably the "funniest" Wes Anderson movie...but I couldn't select this on my list because his movies are almost always more a mixture of drama and comedy, as opposed to being straightforward comedies)...Romancing the Stone (more of an "adventure comedy", but still great)...The Goonies (ditto, but a great movie, nonetheless)...This Is The End (another great Seth Rogen comedy...gets better after multiple viewings)...Ferris Bueller's Day Off (pitch-perfect movie, but it does veer into drama a few times)...Fast Times At Ridgemont High (another great high-school movie, but it does venture into the dramatic category quite a bit...Sean Penn is perfect as Spicoli, though)...Clifford (Funny dark comedy starring Martin Short and Charles Grodin)...Midnight Run (another one that is more of a mixture of comedy and drama, but when it is funny, it's very, very funny...De Niro played great off of Grodin)...In The Loop (Insanely funny British comedy by the creator of Veep...The dialogue is insanely funny...The actors must've had a riot starring in this movie)...

Thanks,

E
"He asks forgiveness for his hubris. He tells God that he has gained his selfhood at great cost to other people. He tells God that he loves danger now, and it thrills him much more than it frightens him."
- James Ellroy

Goonies85
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Goonies85 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:35 pm

Also, Slap Shot. Love Paul Newman in that classic comedy.
"He asks forgiveness for his hubris. He tells God that he has gained his selfhood at great cost to other people. He tells God that he loves danger now, and it thrills him much more than it frightens him."
- James Ellroy

Celldweller55
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Celldweller55 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:47 am

Well I grew up watching French comedies (only genre we are good at in France) so my top 3 would be :

1- Le dîner de cons (1998)
2- Scary Movie 3 (saw this 25 times, still laughing my ass off)
3- La Soupe aux Choux (1981)

Return to “Movies”