Ensign
Ensign
    Macintosh Safari
Groups:
Canada

Best David Lynch Movie Ranked

Postby Goonies85 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:50 am

Hi All,

Finally finished watching the recent Twin Peaks: A Limited Event Series, which is almost like one super long David Lynch movies, so thought I might as well make another list...In order:

1. Mulholland Drive - One of the best movies of the 2000s, if not the best. I remember purchasing this the same day that the Coen Brothers's The Man Who Wasn't There came out. I think both of the movies competed at Cannes and might've even shared an award. I watched the Coen Brother movie first and was suitably impressed. I then popped this one in and was glued to the screen during its entire lengthy running times. One of my favorite movies ever. It's almost pointless trying to describe the plot, because even after several viewings, I don't quite get it. Everything clicked for this movie. The score was insanely good. The direction was perfect. The acting was all top-tier (especially the two leading actresses...But even Billy Ray Cyrus was good in the scene he was in). The movie feels like a dream (and sometimes that can backfire on Lynch, because he often describes writing his scripts and more-or-less ignoring logic, but this time everything worked). And it has one of the best "jump-scares" I've ever witnessed. I remember when I watched it for the first time and the volume all of a sudden cranked up and I spilt my drink...Just a perfect movie.
2. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - I held off watching this until I saw the original series (obviously), and like most people, I was a little disappointed at first. Subsequently, I'd rewatched the original series again (I've probably seen it in its entirety around four or five times at this point) and then rewatched the movie and it really grows on you. Lots of people were disappointed in it being a prequel, but I now think that was the perfect choice. And I loved how much Lynch emphasized the horror element, which he obviously wasn't able to do when the show was on television...I feel this is even more attuned to Lynch's vision of the series than the actual TV show, cause he was limited by the censors and whatnot...I also must say this had a few cool cameos, like David Bowie's brief appearance...And Chris Isaak...Hard to say that the movie makes complete sense, but it's pure Lynch...
3. Blue Velvet - Saw this movie when I was too young and it was only after a couple subsequent viewings where I grew to appreciate it...Dennis Hopper gives one of his best performances (which is saying a lot, when the guy was in Easy Rider, River's Edge, and Apocalypse Now, but he nailed Frank Booth. Still disturbing to watch, and the use of a major Roy Orbison song just feels like it was perfectly designed for the movie...
4. Wild At Heart - Another crazy borderline non-sensical movie from Lynch, with some completely wacky performances from Nicolas Cage and Laura Dern...And one of the most unhinged performances ever put on screen from the great Willem Dafoe...Filled with scenes of shocking violence, and evidently influenced by The Wizard of Oz, of all movies, this is a crazy interesting movie...Not something you'll want to watch with grandma, but it is surprisingly romantic whilst still being extremely violent...
5. Lost Highway - This movie has grown and grown on me over time...Bill Pullman is great, as is Patricia Arquette...And it features one of the creepiest cameos I've ever seen in Robert Blake...A totally bizarre movie but as per usual, Lynch manages to make it work...Would love to see Criterion get the rights and release this on Blu-Ray, but I know Shout Factory is already prepping a release...
6. Twin Peaks: A Limited Event Series - While there's a ton of filler in this movie, especially the middle episodes, the storyline actually really picks up in the final five or six episodes, and it returns to being what the original series was...There's a ton of plot choices I disagreed with while making my way through the episodes, and I almost gave up at times, but it's well worth it if you can stick through the middling parts...Also features one of the worst ever Michael Cera performances...
7. Dune - Don't have too much to say about this...Visually it is often stunning, but the storyline is just a mess...Obviously it was a troubled production and it shows...Probably should've been two or three movies...It did have a great cast, though...
8. Eraserhead - Not a big fan. I've heard this was one of Kubrick's favorite movies, and apparently it was quite popular on the midnight circuit, but I've never understood the appeal. Just a very gross, not very compelling movie...I'm amazed it took like four years to make this...
9. INLAND EMPIRE - HATED THIS MOVIE. This is one where apparently Lynch started using a digital camera and just went wild and filmed whatever he felt like filming on any given day. I have a hard time believing there was any sort of script for this one. Just horrible the whole way through...And it's like three hours long, which just makes things worse...I'm glad I sat through it once, but I don't intend to do so again...

Still need to see The Straight Story and The Elephant Man, among others...

Thanks,

E
0 x
"He asks forgiveness for his hubris. He tells God that he has gained his selfhood at great cost to other people. He tells God that he loves danger now, and it thrills him much more than it frightens him."
- James Ellroy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Clark Kent Superman
Captain
Captain
    Windows 8.1 Firefox
Groups:
Ireland

Re: Best David Lynch Movie Ranked

Postby Clark Kent Superman » Sun May 27, 2018 11:19 pm

Check your PMs, E. I sent ya one a coupla months back and ya never replied.
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Detour
Ensign
Ensign
    Windows 7 Firefox
Groups:
Canada

Re: Best David Lynch Movie Ranked

Postby Detour » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:57 pm

Of the ones I have seen:

ELEPHANT MAN - 9/10
THE STRAIGHT STORY - 8/10
BLUE VELVET - 7/10
LOST HIGHWAY - 6/10
WILD AT HEART - 6/10
ERASERHEAD - 5/10 (I definitely need to give this one a rewatch)
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Movies”