Ensign
Ensign
    Macintosh Safari
Groups:
Canada

2018 Hockey Trade Deadline Day

Postby Goonies85 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:34 pm

Hi All,

Not sure how many hockey fans are on this board, but here are my brief thoughts on some of the deals that have went down in the past week or so...

Rick Nash to the Bruins...Pretty good from a Bruins perspective...He's not the elite player he once was, but usually performs in the playoffs, and he creates a lot of match-up nightmares for the other teams when he starts coming off the bench on the second or third lines...The Bruins will miss Spooner, but it looks like they're going all in to try and win this year, so we'll see how things turn out...Surprised the Rangers traded him to a regional rival, but I know he had some sort of no-trade clause, so their options were probably limited...

Blackhawks trade Ryan Hartman and somehow get a first-round pick as part of the package...I'm a Blackhawks fan and this really surprised me...While I liked Hartman, I never ever thought he would bring back a first-round pick...Great trade by the Blackhawks, in my mind, seeing as it looks like they're going to miss the playoffs for the first time in I don't know how long...

Vegas gets Tatar from the Red Wings...Couldn't believe the package the Red Wings got back, but I guess it just shows the embarrassment of picks that the Golden Knights accumulated during the expansion draft...Good on them, although I still think they overpaid...

McDonaugh from the Rangers to the Lightning...Tampa is officially scary now (not to say they weren't before)...Now they'll have a combination of Hedman, McDonaugh, Girardi, Sergachev, and some guys I'm missing on the ice at all times...The Lightning forwards were already some of the most formidable in the league, and now their defence is just as good...Have a think that the Lightning will be heavily favoured in the East...

Flames pick up Chris Stewart off waivers...Good pick-up...He's a solid grinder that can also score when needed...I like the deal for the Flames, especially considering Tkatchuk is still out...

Winnipeg Jets get Paul Stastny from the Blues...Probably the biggest surprise of the day...Jets top three forward lines really look great now...Was surprised that he was willing to waive his no-trade clause to come to Winnipeg, but it shows just how good people think that team is and how many think they have a legit chance of at least competing for the Stanley Cup...

Most disappointing part of the day was that Erik Karlsson wasn't moved from the Sens. I know they would never have gotten any close to what his value is, but it seems clear to me that he is going to walk away regardless. If he doesn't get traded in the off-season, he's gone after next season, once his contract expires...I just would've thought they'd have been able to have gotten something for him now...And for the rest of the season, every time someone interviews the Senators it's going to be about what's going on with Karlsson...I think the bridge between him and the Senators has been burned and that's really unfortunate, as he probably is their best player in franchise history...

Anyway...Those are my thoughts...

Thanks,

E
0 x
"He asks forgiveness for his hubris. He tells God that he has gained his selfhood at great cost to other people. He tells God that he loves danger now, and it thrills him much more than it frightens him."
- James Ellroy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

James T. Kirk
Captain
Captain
    Windows 8.1 Firefox
Groups:
Ireland

Re: 2018 Hockey Trade Deadline Day

Postby James T. Kirk » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:38 pm

I'm staying completely out of this; sports are NOT my thing. But thanks for starting off the sports section, anyway! :mrgreen:
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Goonies85
Ensign
Ensign
    Macintosh Safari
Groups:
Canada

Postby Goonies85 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:39 pm

James T. Kirk wrote:Source of the post I'm staying completely out of this; sports are NOT my thing. But thanks for starting off the sports section, anyway! :mrgreen:

Thought we at least needed a post in the Sports section...Love hockey...Might post a Basketball thread later but need a suitable topic...

Thanks,

E
0 x
"He asks forgiveness for his hubris. He tells God that he has gained his selfhood at great cost to other people. He tells God that he loves danger now, and it thrills him much more than it frightens him."
- James Ellroy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Goonies85
Ensign
Ensign
    Macintosh Safari
Groups:
Canada

Postby Goonies85 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:43 pm

Forgot to mention the other big trade, involving Evander Kane to the Sharks. While I felt that the Sabres could've gotten more for him, sometimes he's too much trouble to deal with. It's a little worrying that he'll now be in the Los Angeles-area spotlight, but he is a very good, gritty player that can do a little bit of everything (i.e. fight, score, kill penalties, etc.)...I personally like him and feel he has matured, and he'll really help replace the goals that were lost when the Sharks lost Marleau...And I have to imagine that once he starts playing in San Jose, he'll like the area and will sign a contract extension...I don't feel he's a rental...I'm pretty sure the Sharks have a general sense that he'll re-sign with them when the time comes...

Thanks,

E
0 x
- James Ellroy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Sports”