QUESTION - What are Your Top 5 Favorite "SLASHER" Movies ?

Slasher Movies

Topic author
AnthonyRocks
Ensign
Ensign
    Windows 10 Firefox
Groups:
United States of America

QUESTION - What are Your Top 5 Favorite "SLASHER" Movies ?

Postby AnthonyRocks » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:36 pm

What are your own Top 5 Favorite "SLASHER" Movies ?

For an Example, Here are My own Top 5 Favorites Below!

1. Friday The 13th (1980)

2. Scream 4

3. Urban Legend

4. Scream 2

5. Halloween II (1981)
---------------------------------
What about everybody else here ?
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Goonies85
Ensign
Ensign
    Macintosh Safari
Groups:
Canada

Re: QUESTION - What are Your Top 5 Favorite "SLASHER" Movies ?

Postby Goonies85 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:12 am

Very tough call. If I had to, I'd say my favorite slasher movies are as follows (even though my selections could change tomorrow, depending on my mood):

1. Halloween. Easy selection. The preeminent slasher movie. Perfect score, perfect direction, perfect acting. Love everything about this movie.

2. Black Christmas. Obviously the original. Bob Clark made a helluva movie, and I love old-school Margot Kidder. Also love that it is so obviously Canadian. And Art Hindle was a very underrated actor...Great atmosphere in this movie...

3. Just Before Dawn. I know I've mentioned this on other posts, but it remains a great, great movie. Love the opening score and I love how it segues into Blondie's "Heart of Glass" (still have no idea how they could've afforded to license that song, but oh well)...Neat twist at the end, and feels like a great Grindhouse movie...

4. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan. To this day, this one remains underrated. I'll forever be confused by the hate this movie gets. It's a perfectly cheesy '80s movie that really just encapsulates everything that a slasher movie is supposed to be about. Cheesy music, cheesy acting...but pretty solid direction and writing, in my mind...While I love a lot of the movies in the series (particularly the first, second, and fourth), it's this one that I revisit most often...

5. The Fog. Some might call this more of a "ghost story", but anyone who has actually watched it will probably classify it as more of a slasher film. Just perfect John Carpenter atmosphere...I remember watching this for the first time (when it initially came out on DVD), and I probably watched it four or five times over the course of the next couple of days...The commentary track with Carpenter and Debra Hill is fantastic...Love the scenery (I've always wanted to drive down and visit the west coast, where this was filmed)...Features one of the best Carpenter scores ever...

There would've been many others that could've made the cut, including: Scream 4 (I agree that this is the best movie in the series, even though I love the first one and really admire the second one...the third one was a little weak but is still a decent watch), Silent Night, Deadly Night (both this one and the sequel are great...The third one is even pretty decent, as it was directed by the great Monte Hellman), The Stepfather (the original, obviously, even though the remake has a certain "cheesy" charm), Suspiria and Deep Red (have always kinda categorized Dario Argento movies as their own separate genre, but if you consider these slashers then they are very good ones), The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (this just missed the cut; one of the best movies ever), Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (again, another movie I don't technically feel is a slasher; I feel it belongs in the serial killer genre, even though many people would consider those to be the same things).

Anyway those would be my top picks...

Thanks,

E
0 x
"He asks forgiveness for his hubris. He tells God that he has gained his selfhood at great cost to other people. He tells God that he loves danger now, and it thrills him much more than it frightens him."
- James Ellroy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Goonies85
Ensign
Ensign
    Windows 8.1 Firefox
Groups:
Canada

Re: QUESTION - What are Your Top 5 Favorite "SLASHER" Movies ?

Postby Goonies85 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:16 am

AnthonyRocks wrote:Source of the post What are your own Top 5 Favorite "SLASHER" Movies ?

For an Example, Here are My own Top 5 Favorites Below!

1. Friday The 13th (1980)

2. Scream 4

3. Urban Legend

4. Scream 2

5. Halloween II (1981)
---------------------------------
What about everybody else here ?

I'll also add that I agree that Urban Legend is a pretty good slasher, albeit slightly underrated. Happy to hear that Scream Factory will be releasing a Collector's Edition later on this year (along with the sequel, which I've never seen)...

While I can admire Halloween II, I just have some logic issues with it, and it really pales in comparison to the original. I actually prefer Halloween III: Season of the Witch, which pretty much abandoned the mythology and tried to do its own thing. I think it actually really holds up, especially the creepy score and jingle...That's a personal favorite of mine...

Thanks,

E
0 x
"He asks forgiveness for his hubris. He tells God that he has gained his selfhood at great cost to other people. He tells God that he loves danger now, and it thrills him much more than it frightens him."
- James Ellroy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Movies”