Ensign
Ensign
    Macintosh Safari
Groups:
Canada

Best Audio Commentaries

Postby Goonies85 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi All,

Here are some of my favorite audio commentaries...I don't always listen to these, but for certain movies I'll sit through them...In no particular order...

John Carpenter's The Thing - One of my all-time favorite commentaries, if not my absolute favorite. Just Carpenter and Russell shooting the shit, yet still imparting a lot of good info about the making-of the movie...You can even hear them cracking beers throughout the screening...Listening to this feels like you are getting to eavesdrop on two buddies that are reconnecting after having not spoken for a while...Great listen...

They Live - John Carpenter and Rowdy Roddy Piper...Like the above commentary, just hilarious...

John Carpenter's The Fog - I promise the entire list won't be John Carpenter movies, but this one is fascinating between him and Debra Hill (his former wife and producer). They really delve into the problems they encountered making this movie, and how they needed to re-shoot a bunch of stuff in order to make it work...Really interesting stuff...And very honest...

Rules of Attraction - Carrot Top commenting on a movie he was not involved in, nor did he see before he recorded his commentary. One of the funniest commentaries I've ever listened to, and I'm not a Carrot Top fan (who is?)...Simply hilarious...

The Limey - Steven Soderbergh and the screenwriter Lem Dobbs. Way too many people have claimed that this commentary shows a ton of animosity between Lem Dobbs and Soderbergh, but I never saw that...I always thought Dobbs was being facetious and deadpan just for the hell of it...Really interesting hearing the dynamic they had...And they subsequently worked together, so all those rumours about Dobbs hating Soderbergh and the way he "handled" his script are bullshit, in my mind...

Mallrats - Not a big Kevin Smith fan, but this was a great video commentary with Smith, Mewes, and Affleck, amongst others...Just a joy to sit through...

Zodiac - The track with James Ellroy and Gyllenhal...It sounds like they were recorded together, and Ellroy says the craziest things...He's very NSFW and the results are just hilarious...

Any David Fincher commentary - He's pretty much always unflinchingly honest, and very forthcoming about the decisions he made while making his movies...I always find his commentaries extremely informative...

Cannibal: The Musical - The Trey Parker and Matt Stone commentary...They have to shut it off midway because somebody spills liquor on the mike...They pop back soon after and it's just hilarious to hear these guys getting sloshed while watching their movie...

The Simpsons - Take your pick. These commentaries are hilarious and oftentimes just as funny as the episodes themselves...Highlights are the ones where they get Conan O'Brien or Jon Lovitz to participate...Love these things...

Get Out - The Jordan Peele commentary helped me appreciate the movie even more than I already did...

Scream - Kevin Williamson and Wes Craven...Both great speakers...I really wished Williamson had participated in the commentary for Scream 4...

If you all have other favorite commentary tracks, feel free to post about them...

Thanks,

E
0 x
"He asks forgiveness for his hubris. He tells God that he has gained his selfhood at great cost to other people. He tells God that he loves danger now, and it thrills him much more than it frightens him."
- James Ellroy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Goonies85
Ensign
Ensign
    Macintosh Safari
Groups:
Canada

Re: Best Audio Commentaries

Postby Goonies85 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Joe Lynch and Adam Green on Friday the 13th Part IV. Crazy good fan commentary...

Robert Altman's commentary on 3 Women...Very interesting...A little dry at times but overall there's a lot of insight...His commentary on McCabe & Mrs. Miller was also great...

Tarantino and Rodriguez on From Dusk Till Dawn...Watching the movie and listening to it feels like you're hanging out with a couple of buddies having beers...

Tarantino and Edgar Wright on Hot Fuzz...Hilarious commentary, and they point out a lot of little bits that most viewers wouldn't have noticed...

Soderbergh and the director, Mike Nichols, of Catch-22...I love when Soderbergh participates in these commentaries, as he really brings out the best from those he is commenting with...Lots of insightful questions and whatnot...

Richard Franklin on Road Games...One of my all-time favorite movies, and he delivers a lot of cool info...A little dry at times, and I wish he had more people to comment with (I'd love to hear him do another commentary with Stacy Keach)...Very informative...

Jeff Lieberman on Just Before Dawn...Another one of my all-time favorite horror movies...He does come off as a douche a lot of the time, but it's still interesting hearing him explain how he got this very low budget horror movie made...Had no idea one of the lead actors was Jack Lemmon's son until I listened to this...Worthwhile listen for horror fans...

Anyway, would love it if I got some comments on this thread...Hope everyone is well...

Thanks,

E
0 x
"He asks forgiveness for his hubris. He tells God that he has gained his selfhood at great cost to other people. He tells God that he loves danger now, and it thrills him much more than it frightens him."
- James Ellroy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ass_E9
Ensign
Ensign
    Windows 10 Chrome
Groups:

Postby Ass_E9 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:30 am

The In Crowd (2000): Susan Ward and Lori Heuring just having a good ol' time.
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Goonies85
Ensign
Ensign
    Macintosh Safari
Groups:
Canada

Postby Goonies85 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:03 pm

While I had listened to most of David Fincher commentaries, I only listened to the one he did for The Social Network the other day. Very good commentary, and he's pretty loose throughout, dropping f bombs whenever he sees fit (even though they censor them). He's also very honest about the mistakes that he made while making the movie. Largely the track is him talking about the cast that he put together, and how they managed to integrate themselves in the overall cast. While probably not quite as good as the tracks he did for Zodiac or Seven, it's well worth a listen...Even if you just put it on in the background...
0 x
- James Ellroy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Movies”