Goonies85
Ensign
Ensign
    Macintosh Safari
Groups:
Canada

Best Sam Raimi Movies Ranked

Postby Goonies85 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:15 pm

Definitely not a favorite of mine (I think most of his most recent work has been atrocious), he did make the odd good movie. I'd rank his films as follows:

1. A Simple Plan - I just love this movie. Especially the relationship between the brothers, played by Billy Bob and Bill Paxton...I think Holly Hunter was the lead actress in this a she was great...Kind of neo-noir...

2. Evil Dead - Really broke the mold and was very innovative, given it's meagre budget...Just a great late night movie to watch, which I usually check out every couple of years...

3. Evil Dead 2 - I would also put this on the same level as the original, but obviously it was very similar...I still enjoy this one quite a bit...

4. Spider-Man - I remember thinking this was okay when I saw it in theatres, but I've since watched it a couple times since then and don't feel it holds up that well...That said, I did like Raimi some of the same camera tricks he used for the Evil Dead movies, so the action/camerawork was generally pretty good...

5. Army of Darkness - I'm surprised I don't quite understand why some people hold this in such high estimation (and it's like I hate it, I have the poster up on one of my walls). It's a solid, unique movie. And I like Bruce Campbell. Just felt this is a tad overrated...

6. Drag Me To Hell - It was better than I expected, but still not that great. I don't really care to watch this again...

7. Darkman - Bought the Scream Factory a while back and did not enjoy this one at all. I thought that the only good thing in the movie was Liam Neeson...

8. Spider-Man 2 - I remember the critics were pretty laudatory about this one when it came out, but I just didn't get it. Didn't care for this one at all.

9. Spider-Man 3 - I'll be honest, I pretty much hated everything in this movie, and I think I turned it off like halfway. Just trying to pack too many things into one movie...I usually prefer a single villain or, at most, maybe two...

I'd also say that I'd rank guys like Carpenter, Craven, and Cronenberg way ahead of him. While it's true that Raimi definitely branching out from his early days where he was still largely considered a horror movie director, but Carpenter also tried (you could argue with Starman and Memoirs of an Invisible Man...Those movies weren't very successful so he went back to horror movies; I think he genuinely knew that that was primarily where his talent was, so just basically went back to those movies was so successful with)...Craven had that music movie with Meryl Streep, which I could've sworn got some pretty scathing reviews, so he ends going back to the horror genre), and Cronenberg has I think had the most success out of the three, at branching out (M. Butterfly, A Dangerous Method, History of Violence, Eastern Promises, etc.).
0 x
"He asks forgiveness for his hubris. He tells God that he has gained his selfhood at great cost to other people. He tells God that he loves danger now, and it thrills him much more than it frightens him."
- James Ellroy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Movies”