Ensign
Ensign
    Macintosh Safari
Groups:
Canada

The Wire: All the Pieces Matter

Postby Goonies85 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:17 pm

Hi All,

If anyone hasn't seen the HBO show, The Wire yet, you need to do so before reading this book. Probably my favorite television show of all time (it would be up there with Twin Peaks: Original Series, Seinfeld, Oz, Deadwood, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Twilight Zone original series, The Prisoner original series, Freaks and Geeks, some seasons of Star Trek: The Next Gen, and some seasons of The X-Files, and the first eight seasons of The Simpsons). This book just came out and is the oral history of The Wire. Lots of great new insights and whatnot...Great to hear from the cast and crew and very rewarding for fans of the series...Similar to the oral history books that came out for Star Trek (although I only picked up the one that focused on the Next Gen crew and so-forth)...Would highly recommend...

Any Wire fans out there?

Thanks,

E
0 x
"He asks forgiveness for his hubris. He tells God that he has gained his selfhood at great cost to other people. He tells God that he loves danger now, and it thrills him much more than it frightens him."
- James Ellroy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

James T. Kirk
Captain
Captain
    Windows 8.1 Firefox
Groups:
Ireland

Re: The Wire: All the Pieces Matter

Postby James T. Kirk » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:00 am

Goonies85 wrote:Source of the post Hi All,

If anyone hasn't seen the HBO show, The Wire yet, you need to do so before reading this book. Probably my favorite television show of all time (it would be up there with Twin Peaks: Original Series, Seinfeld, Oz, Deadwood, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Twilight Zone original series, The Prisoner original series, Freaks and Geeks, some seasons of Star Trek: The Next Gen, and some seasons of The X-Files, and the first eight seasons of The Simpsons). This book just came out and is the oral history of The Wire. Lots of great new insights and whatnot...Great to hear from the cast and crew and very rewarding for fans of the series...Similar to the oral history books that came out for Star Trek (although I only picked up the one that focused on the Next Gen crew and so-forth)...Would highly recommend...

Any Wire fans out there?

Thanks,

E
Hey, E. I got the complete series of The Wire recently. Haven't started watching it yet, though, so no spoilers. I have that Star Trek oral history book too, except I bought both of them, naturally. Haven't read them yet, though.
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Goonies85
Ensign
Ensign
    Macintosh Safari
Groups:
Canada

Postby Goonies85 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:06 am

Oh, man. I won't spoil the Star Trek: Next Generation book...but it is great...enjoy, bro!!! I keep trying to get more people to post here...
0 x
"He asks forgiveness for his hubris. He tells God that he has gained his selfhood at great cost to other people. He tells God that he loves danger now, and it thrills him much more than it frightens him."
- James Ellroy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

James T. Kirk
Captain
Captain
    Windows 8.1 Firefox
Groups:
Ireland

Postby James T. Kirk » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:24 pm

Goonies85 wrote:Source of the post Oh, man. I won't spoil the Star Trek: Next Generation book...but it is great...enjoy, bro!!! I keep trying to get more people to post here...
I know, me too. No luck so far.
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Goonies85
Ensign
Ensign
    Macintosh Safari
Groups:
Canada

Postby Goonies85 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:40 pm

James T. Kirk wrote:
Goonies85 wrote:Source of the post Oh, man. I won't spoil the Star Trek: Next Generation book...but it is great...enjoy, bro!!! I keep trying to get more people to post here...

Make sure you stay with The Wire for at least the first 5 or 6 episodes...That's how long it took before it really clicked for me...After that, I binged the rest of season one and immediately started catching up with season two on HBO...by the time season three started premiering on TV, I was all caught up...Watched every single episode after that the Sunday night that they premiered...You'll get hooked on that show and won't look back...

Thanks,

E
0 x
- James Ellroy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

James T. Kirk
Captain
Captain
    Windows 8.1 Firefox
Groups:
Ireland

Postby James T. Kirk » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:43 pm

Goonies85 wrote:Source of the post
James T. Kirk wrote:

Make sure you stay with The Wire for at least the first 5 or 6 episodes...That's how long it took before it really clicked for me...After that, I binged the rest of season one and immediately started catching up with season two on HBO...by the time season three started premiering on TV, I was all caught up...Watched every single episode after that the Sunday night that they premiered...You'll get hooked on that show and won't look back...

Thanks,

E
Oh don't worry; I'll definitely watch the whole series from beginning to end.
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Slick_36
Ensign
Ensign
    Linux Chrome
Groups:
United States of America

Postby Slick_36 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:22 am

Oh wow, I didn't know The Wire was a book.
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

James T. Kirk
Captain
Captain
    Windows 8.1 Firefox
Groups:
Ireland

Postby James T. Kirk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:31 am

Slick_36 wrote:Source of the post Oh wow, I didn't know The Wire was a book.
There's probably been more than one book written on The Wire.
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Detour
    Windows 7 Firefox

Postby Detour » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:53 pm

My daughter loves THE WIRE and has been bugging me to check it out, it's on one of my streaming services so I'll try to get to it.

Love Star Trek, especially ToS and TNG. I've read so many books on both series that I doubt I could learn any more about them.

And "hi" Goonies85, great name, great flick.
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

James T. Kirk
Captain
Captain
    Windows 8.1 Firefox
Groups:
Ireland

Postby James T. Kirk » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:59 pm

Detour wrote:Source of the post My daughter loves THE WIRE and has been bugging me to check it out, it's on one of my streaming services so I'll try to get to it.

Love Star Trek, especially ToS and TNG. I've read so many books on both series that I doubt I could learn any more about them.

And "hi" Goonies85, great name, great flick.
You're bound to enjoy yourself here then.
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Books”