Ensign
Ensign
    Windows XP Chrome
Groups:
United States of America

Re: Anyone read Stephen King?

Postby klandersen » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:12 pm

I've read "It" and "Under The Dome".

It: Read this book a year or two before the TV miniseries aired. Freaked me out. It also confused me a bit especially the absolute final encounter when the characters are adults. Part of the confusion is how the book is told from the point of view as adults remembering something that happened when they were pre-tees and having to revisit and face the same horrors almost 30 years later as adults. The childhood parts were told as the adults recalled what had happened. The miniseries pretty much followed the book even in the way it told the story jumping back and forth between the childhood adventures and the "modern" adult time. I like that the newer movie version was divided into two movies the first being the kid's part of the story and the second will be the adult's part.

Under The Dome: When CBS started their version of this story I got hooked on it, and discovered it had been a King novel. Between the 1st and 2nd Seasons I started reading the book. Being over 1,000 pages long it took me a few months (3?) to read it. Taking some breaks from reading it along the way. I think I went 6-9 days at one point of not reading even a page of it. Right from the start the TV show made changes and took certain liberties. Some of the characters were changed around. Some characters that had been killed in the book were part of the TV show and sometimes the other way around. Very fascinating concept of a story. Even though in the book the reasoning for how the dome appeared was far fetched if I recall it was slightly more reasonable than the show. Which went 3 seasons. I'd love to see a movie version that follows the book more than the television show did.

I have the books of "Misery" and "The Stand" but have never gotten round to reading them. Misery I picked up years before the movie was made. The story interested me. I haven't watched the movie because I don't like Kathy Bates. The Stand is a case of the book being too damn long over 1,000 pages like "Under The Dome".
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lynx0139
Ensign
Ensign
    Windows 10 Firefox
Groups:
Canada

Postby lynx0139 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:42 pm

Yes, this became "Silver Bullet" in movie form......one of my top 10 favourite movies.
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

klandersen
Ensign
Ensign
    Windows XP Chrome
Groups:
United States of America

Postby klandersen » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:48 pm

lynx0139 wrote:Source of the post Yes, this became "Silver Bullet" in movie form......one of my top 10 favourite movies.

Been ages since I've seen Silver Bullet. First saw it in the movie theatres and I think once on cable. Not sure if I watched all of it on cable though. Might have caught it while it was in progress. Another of the zillion of movies I want to rewatch.
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

TJ Highway
Ensign
Ensign
    Windows 7 Firefox
Groups:
United States of America

Postby TJ Highway » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:52 am

I read and enjoyed "The Stand" in the early 80's.
While i was over seas and had a lot of time on my hand my Godfather sent me "The Dead Zone" and "Different Seasons." Different Seasons contained four novella's Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption.
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Celldweller55
Ensign
Ensign
    Windows 10 Firefox
Groups:
France

Postby Celldweller55 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:55 pm

I used to read all his novels as a teenager, then I slowly stopped reading anything during my early twenties to focus on movies, tv shows and video games, which is quite sad but hey, I'm having fun.

Salem's Lot is a great read.
I also recommend Cujo, The Mist and Shining, which is infintely better than Kubrick's movie (great film, lousy adaptation)
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Books”